The Church of São Miguel is located inside the walls of the Castle of Penela. When D. Afonso Henriques attributed the Charter to Penela in 1137, a church inside the fortress was already mentioned, but nothing is visible of this building due to successive and profound reforms. One of these major renovations was carried out by order of Infante D. Pedro, Duke of Coimbra, who ordered the temple to be rebuilt, along with major interventions in the castle. In the second half of the 16th century, new and important interventions were carried out in the Church, giving it’s interior the general appearance that it still presents today.
In recent years, Fabrica Paroquial da Freguesia de S. Miguel has contributed to the maintenance of this religious building, with the most recent renovation taking place in 2021, repairing the roof (replacement of the structure and the roof and roof).